Overcome perfectionism, worry and writer's block
Develop focus, confidence and skill
Write a better thesis, faster
- You've been working a lot on your writing, but nothing seems to be good enough and nothing ever gets finished.
- You only get feedback very rarely, so you have very little guidance during the writing process itself. You just hope that the next draft will be better, but you don't know how to achieve that and no idea what "better" actually looks like.
- You're under pressure to produce words, but you hit problems in your writing. To keep the word-count rising, you switch to writing about something else. This works in the short term, but now you have a mess of incomplete sections and don't know how to fix them
- You feel you've written the same thing over and over, but somehow it doesn't come together.
- At the same time, there's so much to read. So much new literature; how are you going to include it all? And how can you avoid just using their words?
These issues are all solvable, but doing more of the same won't work. We need to take apart the process and rebuild it from the most basic principles and assumptions.
When you take The Writing Course you will learn;
- How to develop a confident mindset and writing style
- How to write a thesis your examiner will want to read
- How to structure your writing using simple, easy to learn principles
- How to manage the literature
- What to include in your thesis and what to leave out
- What needs to go into each chapter
- How to cope with perfectionism and writer’s block
- How to stay focused and motivated
- How to get it done
Ultimately, the aim is to make sure that the hard work you put in produces a thesis you can be proud of.
An example from the course
"This course was just what I needed! For ages I was stuck writing draft after draft, working and working but never finishing anything. I never thought I'd say it, but I'm actually starting to enjoy writing! Not only that, but my supervisors seem happy too!"
- Part 1: The fundamentals of academic writing
- Taking stock: what challenges are you facing?
- Overcoming limiting beliefs and building confidence
- Solving problems of expression
- Basic principles of structure
- Getting to know the academic literature
- Planning: what needs to happen in what order
- And more!
- Part 2: How to write your thesis
- How to Write an Introduction
- How to Write Your Literature Review
- Methods and Methodology
- Presenting your Results, Analysis and Discussion
- Preparing to Submit and Defend
Each unit includes exercises to help you develop your skills and your content at the same time.
How does it work?
The course consists of video tutorials, live sessions and a community forum.
You can access the video tutorials at any time and go at your own pace. There is no expiry date and you get access to all future updates.
The live group sessions give you the opportunity to ask questions (you can submit them in advance if you can't make the live times). You can also get feedback on short sections of writing.
The community forum exists to share your progress with others on the course and to support each other.
The course lasts as long as you need to get your thesis done!
How to apply for the course
Already purchased this course? Log in here to access
Applications for May 2019 are now closed, but there will be another intake soon! Enter your email below and you'll be the first to know when they open again in June